Hướng dẫn giải sách bài tập tiếng Anh 12 unit 12 phần Reading. Reading- Unit 12 trang 87 Sách bài tập (SBT) Tiếng Anh 12 – Unit 12. Water Sports – Những môn thể thao dưới nước
Part 1. Read the dialogue and do the exercises that follow.
[ Đọc đoạn đối thoại và làm bài tập bên dưới]
Jenny: What advice would you give to people who are taking part in water sports in order to avoid accidents?
Tony: Well, first of all you have to know the signals that you should use if you get in trouble. You have to use signals because it’s difficult to hear shouts above the noise of water, boat engines, breathing apparatus if you’re wearing that, and so on.
Jenny: I see, could you give us some examples?
Tony: Well, if you are diving, you need to use these signals. Now, ‘I’m OK,’ is the hand up with thumb and forefinger making an O. The ‘I need assistance’ signal is that you put the fist up and move it from left to right above the water. If you are on a boat you should be flying the right international signal which is a white and blue flag.
Jenny: What does that mean?
Tony: That indicates ‘I have a diver down, keep clear and proceed at a slow speed’ for the other boats around.
Jenny: Yes, and what about skiers?
Tony: Well, anybody who is going to go water skiing should be taught several signals. First of all, the signal to go faster: you hold your palm up and motion upwards or just nod your head.
Tony: The signal for slower is the palm down, you motion downwards or you shake your head. If you want to indicate that the speed is OK, you give the OK signal with your thumb and forefinger making the O. If you want to go back to the jetty, just point with your arm downwards.
Jenny: I see. Well, so much for signals. But water skiing can be quite dangerous, can’t it?
Tony: Well, not if you follow the basic safety procedures and you know what you are doing. There are three points really. There should always be two people in the boat: That is one person to watch the skier and the other to drive the boat. Um … before you start, your ski-tips must be above the water, so you don’t get dragged down immediately. If you are the skier you have to give a clear signal to the driver (the person who’s driving the boat) when you are ready to start.
Jenny: And I suppose even the best water skiers fall into the water quite often, what should you do if you fall?
Tony: When you fall? Well, if you fall forwards you should let go of the rope and sit down. If you fall sideways, you should curl yourself up into a ball. And very important: recover the skis immediately. Get a hold of those skis because they can help to keep you afloat.
Jenny: I see, right. Well, thank you very much, Tony.
Dịch bài đối thoại:
Exercise 1. What should you do to make signals indicating the following meanings?
[ Bạn nên làm gì để ra dấu ám chỉ những ý nghĩa sau?]
1. “I am OK”
2. “I need assistance”
3. “I have a diver down, keep clear and proceed at a slow speed
4. “Go faster”
6. “Speed is OK”
7. “Back to jetty”
Hướng dẫn giải:
1. “I am OK”: you put the hand up with thumb and forefinger making an O.
2. “I need assistance”: you put the fist up and move it from left to right above the water.
3. “I have a diver down, keep clear and proceed at a slow speed”: you fly the right international signal which is a white and blue flag.
4. “Go faster”: you hold your palm up and motion upwards or just nod your head.
5. “Slower”: you hold your palm down and motion downwards or you shake your head.
6. “Speed is OK”: you give the OK signal with your thumb and forefinger making the O.
7. “Back to jetty”: you point with your arm downwards.
Exercise 2. Complete the statements describing the advice to the water skier.
[ Hoàn thành câu mô tả lời khuyên dành cho người trượt tuyết nước]
1. There should be two people in the boat: one to and the other to .
2. Before starting, your ski-tips must be .
3. If you fall forwards, you should .
4. If you fall sideways, you should .
5. If you fall, recover the skis at once because .
Hướng dẫn giải:
1. watch the skier, drive the boat
2. above the water
3. let go of the rope and sit down
4. curl yourself up into a ball
5. they can help to keep you afloat
Part 2. Complete the following passage, using one appropriate word for each space.
[ Hoàn thành bài đọc sau, sử dụng một từ thích hợp cho mỗi chỗ trống]
Have you ever heard of river rafting? This water sport, though previously relatively unknown, is beginning to gain (1) attention to this country, especially (2) water sports enthusiasts.
To put it simply, this (3) involves padding a raft down a river, overcoming whatever rapids, boulders or other obstacles in the way. (4) it takes is skilful steering. A (5) of strong arms and stamina are also required.
For those who dare, to give this sport a (6) , it would be worthwhile to (7) to Sungai Rasa, about 60 kilometres north of Kuala Lumpur.
Though not (8) turbulent as some rivers found elsewhere in the world, Sungai Rasa offers some challenges (9) the form of three rapids (10) its course.
Hướng dẫn giải:
1. some 2. among 3. sport 4. What 5. pair
6. try 7. go 8. as 9. in 10. along