Unit 14 : Recreation – Sự giải trí – Language focus – Unit 14 trang 161 tiếng Anh 11. Combine the sentences using both…and, neither….or, or neither… nor.
Exercise 1. Combine the sentences using both…and, neither….or, or neither… nor.
1. Jim is on holiday and so is Carol.
—> Both Jim and Carol are on holiday.
2. George doesn’t smoke and he doesn’t drink.
—> George neither smokes nor drinks.
3. Jim hasn’t got a car. Carol hasn’t got a car, either.
—> Neither Jim nor Carol has got a car.
4. It was a very boring film. It was very long, too.
—> The film was both long and boring.
5. Is that man’s name Richard? Or is it Robert? It’s one of the two.
—> That man’s name is either Richard or Robert.
6. I haven’t got time to so on holiday. And I haven’t got the money.
—> I’ve got neither time nor money to so on holiday.
7. We can leave today or we can leave tomorrow.
—> We can leave either today or tomorrow.
8. Helen lost her passport at the airport. She also lost her wallet there.
—> Helen lost both her passport and wallet at the airport.
9. There are good reasons for using bicycle in big cities: They are clean. They are also easy to park.
—> There are good reasons for using bicycles in big cities: They are both clean and easy to park.
10. On Friday evening, sometimes I go to the cinema, sometimes I stay at home and watch T.V.
—> On Friday evening, I either so to the cinema or stay at home and watch T.V.
Exercise 2. Change the sentences into cleft sentences in the passive.
1. Fans gave Christina lots of flowers.
—> It was Christina who/ whom was given a lot of flowers by fans.
2. The pedestrian asked the policeman for direction to the post office.
—- > It was the policeman who/ whom was asked for direction to the post office.
3. People talked a lot about his house.
—> It was his house that was talked a lot about.
4. His father bought him a bicycle for his birthday.
—> It was the bicycle that was bought for him for his birthday.
5. He described his hometown in his novel.
—> It was his hometown that was described in his novel.
6. She frigfitened the children.
— > It was the children who were frightened.
7. Her younger sister broke her glasses.
—> It was her glasses that were broken.
8. The Prince kissed my younger sister at the party.
— > It was my younger sister who was kissed at the party by the Prince.
9. My father gave me this story book as a birthday present.
—> It was this story book that was given to me as a birthday present by my father.
10. Vietnamese people celebrate Tet as the greatest occasion in a year.
—> It is Tet that is celebrated as the greatest occasion in a year by the Vietnamese.