Unit 9: Choosing a career – Skills – trang 50 Unit 9 SGK tiếng anh 12 mới. Tổng hợp các bài tập trong phần Skills – trang 50 Unit 9 SGK tiếng anh 12 mới
1. Work with a partner. Guess what the students in the pictures may do after they leave school.
Làm việc cùng một người bạn. Đoán những gì các học sinh trong hình ảnh có thể làm sau khi ra trường.
Picture 1: She may go straight to university/continue studying.
Picture 2: They may work as apprentices/join the workforce.
Picture 3: He may take a gap year and go travelling.
2. Read some career advice for secondary school leavers. Choose the appropriate heading for each paragraph. (Đọc một số lời khuyên nghề nghiệp cho học sinh tốt nghiệp trường trung học. Chọn tiêu đề thích hợp cho mỗi đoạn.)
a. For those going to university
b. For those who have no plans
c. For those going to be apprentices
d. For those going to be apprentices d. For those about to start a job
In the UK, there are some websites that provide school students with practical advice about leaving school and taking the next step in their careers. The following are some examples:
If students are about to start a job, career advisers have useful information that may help them make the transition into the working world smoother. They should get used to taking responsibility if something goes wrong in their job. By taking responsibility, they will have the opportunity to learn how to put things right and they can avoid making the same mistakes in the future.
In general, apprentices are assigned to a senior member of staff to spend some time shadowing them and getting to grips with the basics of the job. If apprentices are given the opportunity to get involved early on, they should take it, as this will help them learn faster and improve their confidence. The best thing for apprentices is that they have the opportunity to earn while they learn, and most apprentices are required to attend college for part of the time.
Moving straight to tertiary education from secondary school is considered a big jump. However, many students take to university life like a duck to water. Normally, the first week at university is a bit confusing, even a little stressful, but it does not take long to get
used to university life. During the first week, students have their timetables and other paperwork sorted. After that they can relax and take in the campus atmosphere.
When students do not know what they want to do after leaving school, they could consider some other options, which the advisers can offer. They can find a temporary job, or take a gap year and go travelling; they may work somewhere abroad, or speak to career advisers who can help them come up with a plan. If none of these options are successful, students should go back to school. They can still be accepted on to A level courses if they have GCSEs.
Đáp án: 1.d 2.c 3.a 4.b
3. Find the words/phrases/expressions in the reading text which are closest in meaning to the following. Write them in the correct space. (Tìm các từ / cụm từ / biểu hiện trong bài đọc mà gần gũi nhất với ý nghĩa như sau. Viết chúng trong khoảng trống chính xác.)
1. without problems or difficulties
2. someone who works for an employer or expert to learn a particular skill or job
3. to follow someone else while they are at work to learn about that person’s job
4. to begin to understand and deal with something difficult
5. to become used to something very easily
6. written work in an office, such as filling in forms, writing letters, etc.
1.smooth(er) 2. apprentice
3. shadow(ing) them 4. get(ting) to grips with
5. take to (something) like a duck to water 6. paperwork
4 Read the text again and answer the questions. (Đọc văn bản lần nữa và trả lời các câu hỏi)
1. What kind of websites are available for school leavers in the UK?
2. What advice is offered to school leavers who want to start a job?
3. What is the best thing for apprentices?
4. What do students do in the first week at university?
5. What can students do if they have no plans after leaving school?
Gợi ý đáp án:
1. Some websites that provide school leavers with practical advice about leaving school and taking the next step in their careers.
2. They should learn to take responsibility when things go wrong.
3. The best thing for apprentices is that they have the opportunity to earn while they learn.
4. They have their timetables and other paperwork sorted in the first week at university.
5. They can find a temporary job; they can take a year out and go travelling; they may work somewhere abroad; they can speak to career advisers to help them come up with a plan; they can go back to school.
5 Discuss with a partner.
Which is the most useful piece of advice for you in the text? Why do you think it is useful?
Thảo luận với một người bạn.
Đâu là điều hữu ích nhất của lời khuyên cho bạn trong văn bản? Tại sao bạn nghĩ rằng nó hữu ích?
Future jobs: ambitions and dreams
1 Choose sentences a-f to complete the discussion between Linda, Lan, and John. (Chọn câu a-f để hoàn thành cuộc thảo luận giữa Linda, Lan và John)
a Sounds great!
b I’d like to study journalism.
c What I’d love to do one day is to run my own software company.
d I’d like to work overseas.
e What kind of career are you looking for?
f I could work as a volunteer in Thailand.
John: OK, the topic of today’s discussion is our ambitions and dreams, and our possible future jobs or careers. So let’s start with Linda. (1)_______________________
Linda: I’ve always wanted to be a doctor because I love taking care of kids.
(2) . I have to get into
a medical school first to gain the necessary knowledge and skills.
John: OK. What about you, Lan? What are your plans after you leave secondary school?
Lan: I’d like to go straight into universe.
(3) . You know I love writing, and I’m very keen on improving my English. One thing I’d like to be one day is to work for an Internationa newspaper.
Linda: (4)___________________ . I’m confident
you’ll be very successful. And how about you, John? What kind of job do you have in mind?
John: Well, my dream is to be a compute- programmer.
Lan: What are you going to do after leaving school?
John: I’d like to take a year off and trave abroad. (5)
Lan: Really? So what would you like to dc after that?
John: (6) __________
Linda: I think that would be a great thing for you to do, John.
1.e 2. d 3. b 4.a 5. f 6.c
2 Find the expressions that John, Lan, and Linda used to talk about their ambitions and dreams in the conversation. Write them in the correct space. ( Tìm những biểu hiện mà John, Lan, và Linda sử dụng để nói về hoài bão và ước mơ của mình trong cuộc trò chuyện. Viết chúng trong khoảng trống chính xác.)
John: (1) I’d like to…
(2) What I’d love to do one day is…
Lan: (3) I’d like to …
(4) One thing I’d like to do one day is…
Linda: (5) I’ve always wanted to …
3 Work in groups of three. Practise the conversation in 1.
Làm việc trong nhóm ba người. Luyện tập cuộc trò chuyện trong 1.
4 Work in groups of three. Use the expressions in 2 to make a similar conversation about your own ambitions and dreams.
Làm việc trong nhóm ba người. Sử dụng các biểu hiện trong 2 để thực hiện một cuộc trò chuyện tương tự về hoài bão và ước mơ của riêng bạn.
Positive and negative points of careers
1 Look at the pictures. What jobs do the people in the pictures do? Write down the job under each picture.
Nhìn vào những bức tranh. Những người trong ảnh làm công việc gì? Viết ra những công việc dưới mỗi bức ảnh.
a medical researcher/scientist
a flight attendant
a TV journalist/reporter
2 Match each word with its meaning. (Nối từ với nghĩa của nó)
1.c 2.e 3 d 4.b 5. a
3 Listen to an interview about the positive and negative points of the careers of three people. Match the career with each interviewee. (Nghe một cuộc phỏng vấn về những điểm tích cực và tiêu cực của sự nghiệp của ba người. Khớp sự nghiệp với mỗi người được phỏng vấn.)
Click tại đây để nghe:
a. medical researcher
b. TV journalist
c. flight attendant
1.b 2.c 3.a
4 Listen again and decide if the following statements are true (T), false (F), or not given (NG). (Nghe một lần nữa và quyết định xem các nhận định sau đây là đúng (T), sai (F), hoặc không xác định (NG).)
Click tại đây để nghe:
1 .Tom thinks that being a TV journalist could be a fascinating job.
2. A TV journalist could meet many people such as pop stars, sports stars, and scientists.
3. Alice thinks that working as a flight attendant could be a boring job.
4. Flight attendants are well paid because they have to breathe polluted air.
5. According to Mark, being a medical researcher would be really rewarding.
1.T 2.NG 3. F 4.F 5.T
Interviewer: So, what kind of career are you looking for, Tom?
Tom: I think working as a TV journalist would be a fascinating job. You would do interviews with so many famous people, such as politicians, movie stars, authors, and actors.
Interviewer: Do you think there would be any downsides to the job?
Tom: Well, being a TV journalist could be difficult at times. You could have to go into dangerous situations, for example, like forest fires or battles in warzones.
Interviewer: I agree. How about you, Alice? What career would you choose?
Alice: I want to be a flight attendant. It could be an interesting job.
I would really enjoy meeting people from many different countries. And I think flight attendants are well paid.
Interviewer: It’s a very demanding job. Don’t you think so?
Alice: Yes, you may have to work long hours on long haul flights and not get enough sleep. Travelling all the time could have a negative effect on your health. Being stuck in an aircraft and breathing dirty air is not very healthy.
Interviewer Yes, I agree. Now, Mark, what career would you like to pursue?
Mark:Well, I’d like to be a medical researcher. I think that doing medical research would be really rewarding.
Interviewer: So what are some positive points about the job?
Mark: This job would help save people’s lives. You could make a great medical discovery, such as a new drug that can cure or prevent deadly diseases.
Interviewer: Sure, but not everyone is lucky enough to discover new things. You could end up doing tedious experiments and writing long reports.
Mark: Well, doing research may take time and you may not see immediate results. But I still believe in the good things that medical research can bring to people.
Interviewer: All right. Thank you all for coming to the interview, and I wish you good luck in your future careers.
5 Work in groups. Do you agree or disagree with the positive and negative points of the three careers in the listening? Why?/Why not? Can you add more points?
Làm việc nhóm. Bạn có đồng ý hay không đồng ý với những điểm tích cực và tiêu cực của ba sự nghiệp trong phần nghe? Tại sao tại sao không? bạn có thể thêm nhiều quan điểm hơn?
Applying for a job
1 Read the job application letter and write the numbers ( 1 -8) next to the letters (a-h) to show the correct components of the letter.
Đọc lá thư xin việc và viết các số (1 -8) bên cạnh các chữ cái (a-h) để hiển thị các thành phần chính xác của bức thư.
(1)The Manager (3) 618 Tay Son St Souvenir Shop HaNoi
755 Giang Vo St Ha Noi
(2) 20 May 20…
Dear Sir or Madam,
(2) I am writing in response to your advertisement on Findingjobs.com for the post of a part-time shop assistant.
(3) Last summer, I worked as a shop assistant for five weeks in a local shop selling traditional Vietnamese clothing in a tourist area. My responsibilities were to serve customers, including foreign visitors, deliver the clothes, and answer the phone.
(4) I think that I am reliable, hard-working and enthusiastic. I can also speak English fluently. If required, I can provide references from the clothes shop.
(5) I would be grateful for an opportunity to visit your shop and discuss my application with you in person. I can come for an interview any afternoon during the week. If my application is successful, I will be available to start work from the 15th of June. Please find my CV enclosed in this letter.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
_____ a. date
_____b. applicant’s personal qualities
__ 1__ c. recipient’s address
_____ d. applicant’s address
_____ e. applicant’s work experience
_____ f. applicant’s signature and full name
_____ g. when the applicant is available for an
interview and to start work
_____ h. what the job is and where the applicant
saw the job advertisement
2.a 3.d 4.h 5.e
6. b 7.g 8.f
2 Read the job advertisement. Make a list of the qualities and experience you may need for the job.
Đọc quảng cáo tuyển dụng. Tạo một danh sách những phẩm chất và kinh nghiệm bạn có thể cần cho công việc.
worked for a local travel agency last summer
trustworthy, confident, hard-working, and enthusiastic
can speak English fluently
can work for long hours
3 Write a letter of around 180 words applying for the job in the advert in 2. Include all the letter components in 1 and follow the writing plan below. (Viết một bức thư khoảng 180 từ nộp đơn xin công việc trong quảng cáo trong 2. Bao gồm tất cả các thành phần ký tự trong 1 và làm theo kế hoạch bằng văn bản dưới đây.)
Say where you saw the advertisement and what job you are applying for.
Give details of previous work experience and responsibilities.
Talk about your personal qualities and offer to send a reference.
Mention when you are available for an interview and can start work.
Gợi ý bức thư:
The Manager 745 Le Loi Rd
Sunflower Hotel Da Nang
610 Bach Dang Rd, Da Nang
16 July 20…
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing in response to your advertisement in last Saturday’s Viet Nam News for a young and enthusiastic receptionist.
Last summer, I worked as a tour guide for six weeks for a small travel agency in Da Nang. My responsibilities included giving information to visitors, accompanying foreign tourists on trips throughout Viet Nam, and answering the phone.
I consider myself to be trustworthy, hardworking and enthusiastic. I can speak English fluently and can work as an interpreter. In addition, I can work for long hours. If required,
I can provide references from the travel agency.
I would really like to visit your hotel and discuss my application with you in person.
I am available for an interview on any afternoon.
If my application is successful, I will be able to start work from 15th of August when I finish my exams. I am enclosing my CV with thi? letter.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Nguyen Van Nam